Re: THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT

Subject: Re: THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT
From: "Peggy L. Currid" <plcurrid -at- PRAIRIENET -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 13:21:06 GMT

Michael LaTorra (mikel -at- accugraph -dot- com) wrote:
: In the latest issue of TIME, an article about Congressional budget cuts
: is titled:

: THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT

: I've been seeing more and more typos and grammatical errors in magazine
: and book text these days, but I've never before seen such a blatant error in
: a title.

You should have paid more attention in your high-school English class ;-)

The expression "the most unkindest cut" comes from Shakespeare's _Julius
Caesar_, Act III, scene ii, line 183. The words were spoken over Caesar's
dead body by Mark Antony, and referred specifically to wound inflicted by
Brutus.

(Yes, I used to teach sophomore English.)

Regards,

Peggy Currid

--
plcurrid -at- prairienet -dot- org