Re: Hyphen Placement

Subject: Re: Hyphen Placement
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 12:33:49 MST

Kristin Hackney asked-->
I'd like to know which of these are preferred and why:

CD-ROM-based reference books
CD-ROM based reference books
CD ROM-based reference books

Many of us in our tech communications group don't like the
look of two hyphens in a row (as in the first example) and
would like to know if either of the others are acceptable.
Kristin,

Personal preference aside, the first example is the correct
example. The two hyphens don't look any worse than the hyphens
in "state-of-the-art computer" or "12-inch-wide board."

Bev Parks

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=