many efforts

Subject: many efforts
From: douglas_thayer <douglas_thayer -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 11:55:25 LCL

Dear All:

My [American] co-worker is having some difference of opinion with the
Chairman of our company over a sentence in the English translation of the
company profile. The phrase in question:

"...developed through many years of effort,...

The Chairman would like to say "many years of EFFORTS"; the editor is
adamantly opposed (with some justification) to this change. As a native
speaker of English (the Chairman is not), the editor feels certain of his
position, but he has been unable to justify it with rules of grammar.

The collective wisdom of this list would be valuable as decision-making
support. Please help! Tempers are flaring; cross-cultural relations are
threatened...

Also, we welcome opinion on the use of the preposition "with" in the
following: "...the best way to reciprocate with our customers for their
many years of patronage..." Is this preposition necessary?

Thanks,
Douglas Thayer
<douglas_thayer -at- smtplink -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw>
Taipei, Taiwan, ROC