Re: Spaces, spaces, spaces, should we or shouldn't we

Subject: Re: Spaces, spaces, spaces, should we or shouldn't we
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 19:36:28 GMT

-> When one extra line of white space is used between paragraphs (we
-> used to call it "double spaced" in typing class), that extra space
-> helps readers "chunk" the entire area (of the paragraph) as one set
-> or item of information.

Known in the 'biz as "secondary leading" -- once again proportion is
everything, and the between-paragraphs leading value should be somewhere
around half a line or so more than the between-line leading. Two
lines of lead are too much, unless you are trying for some sort of
special effect.

In a word processor, use the paragraph settings for "space before" and
"space after", specify it in points rather than lines, and remember that
this also affects the space before and after a heading. Think about this
when you create your style tags, then it will happen like magic.

The main thing is, and someone even wrote a book with this title, "The
PC isn't a Typewriter". Nor is it only a terminal screen with only
one font size and only one screen width. With a near-full kit of
typographic tools and a wealth of information easily available, it is a
shame when people can't think beyond junior high school typing class
when they compose their books, and thus end up with beautifully phrased
sentences and elegant procedures that sound great and look awful.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500