Value of Techwriters

Subject: Value of Techwriters
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 10:11:58 EDT

I'm just throwing in my two cents on the approach to convincing others
about the value of tech writers. I've got to warn you, it's a very cynical
pair of pennies.

There have been a few who have suggested the way to do this is through a
structured, logical approach, using reason to win over the doubters. Some
supporters of this have said it would be bad to use emotional appeal, the
use of emotion will only cause problems downstream.

Those that support the emotional approach feel that no amount of logic or
fact can change a closed mind, and that the only way to convince some folks
is to appeal to other instincts.

My experience has been that the emotional argument will win in more cases,
with more people.

Unfortunately, I've also seen the following (related) scenario come true,
too many times. There are two tech writers. One is a hard worker, producing
quality documentation, but focusing on the work at hand and not office
politics. The other is a mediocre writer, but a very political animal strong
on back-slapping & glad-handing around the company. When it comes time to
cut one of these two writers, who do you think will be out on the street?

My observation is that in a decision between the hard worker or the
politician, the hard worker will almost always lose. That's an example
of emotion beating business logic if I've ever seen one.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com