Re: TROFF to WORD6

Subject: Re: TROFF to WORD6
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 06:18:41 -0700

Ernst Wehausen wrote:

>I'm about to receive a very large doc file done in TROFF which I must edit
>and format.

>I need some type of converter that can take the troff (UNIX) files and put
>them in a PC usable form. We work in Word 6 for windows and PageMaker 5.0a.

Ernst, you can probably find a commercial product that will do it for you ($$)
or find a filter on the 'net somewhere for free, but if I were doing it on
a one-shot deal, I would cobble together a Word 6 search-and-destroy macro.

1. Once the TROFF source file is exported to your PC hard drive it is in
ASCII text form -- easy to import into Word 6 as text.

2. Once the file is in Word 6, you can run search and replace macros to
find the text strings (.H1, .H2, .BL, etc.), delete them, and tag the
associated text with Word styles (Heading1, Heading2,...)

You can build a very customized and complex macro quickly using
the Macro Recorder feature in Word 6. Just do the search and replace
on a test file while macro recording, then apply (run) the macro on
the large file.

Happy macro-ing! It is worth learning (if for no other reason than you
will find another use for it later).

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224