[no subject]

From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 00:23:51 -0700

>This is the second time I have misattributed this same quote on a list and
>been corrected. The first time I quoted it, I attributed it to Albert
>Einstein. The correct attribution is:

> --William of Occam

>The phrase is known as Occam's Razor.

I think the snappy kicker "but no simpler" is Einstein's contribution. He
was talking about explanations.

I think Occam's formulation was in Latin, and translations of it that I've
seen were along the lines of "entities should not be multiplied beyond
need," or words to that effect.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't looked any of this up, though I remember searching for
a citation for the Einstein quote a few months ago. I don't think I found
it. ...RM

Dr. Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Vice President, STC Berkeley Chapter