Semantics and considerate usage

Subject: Semantics and considerate usage
From: Daniel Strychalski <dski -at- CAMEONET -dot- CAMEO -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 16:54:35 +0800

"Offending" someone is not the Only if painted on an axe handle.
question. Bad breath is offensive. Go read "General Semantics" or Sam
Words, on the other hand, have the Hayakawa. -- Gwen Barnes
power to hurt. -- Yael Shaner

I read one of Hayakawa's early works a long time ago. Much of what he wrote
made a lot of sense to me then and still does now. If I remember correctly,
though, he later tried to yank the wires from the speakers on a sound truck
at a protest of some sort. This seems inconsistent with his teachings.

Words are the main tools we use to express our thoughts, feelings and
opinions. We are social animals, and we need the approval and support of
those around us. When those around us express disrespect or hatred, it hurts
and angers us. It is, in effect, a slap that misses: the intent is clear.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

of.fend v. 1. To create anger, resentment, or annoyance in. 2. To be
displeasing or disagreeable (to). 3. To sin.
Dan Strychalski
dski -at- cameonet -dot- cameo -dot- com -dot- tw