Re: Communicator or Writer?

Subject: Re: Communicator or Writer?
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 11:54:00 PDT

At 10:33 PM 6/5/95, C. Dawn Langley wrote:

>I realize a lot of people began their careers as either "writers" or
>"communicators" and so logically speaking, mere habit can account for a
>majority of this diversity. I prefer the seemingly outdated "writer" myself
>based on gut-feeling more than anything else.

>Dawn

I agree with Dawn and Marc. I prefer to be called a "technical writer". I
know that for most people the term doesn't conjure up any where near a
precise picture of what I do, but neither does "technical communicator". I
think "technical communicator" is more of an umbrella term that includes
technical writers and technical illustrators. Even though I occasionally
produce illustrations for the manuals and help files I create, I do not
believe that I have anywhere near the expertise of the professional
technical illustrator.

I do so much more than write. I edit, manage projects, develop help files,
create database programs, do systems testing, manage production, and more.
I just love being a writer. I've wanted to a technical writer since I was
12. I don't care what the world thinks of it -- *I* know it's a noble,
challenging, intellectual, demanding, invigorating, frustrating, and
enriching calling. So call it "technical writing" and spread the word.

Yowsa!
Rosie Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes." -Marcel Proust