Re: them words

Subject: Re: them words
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:34:33 -0400

> I've also had lots of difficulty accepting politically correct
> language. For example, why do we say disabled (not able to do
> something, a less-offensive form of "invalid") instead of handicapped
> (having a disadvantage compared to non-handicapped people)? The latter
> is both more accurate and less offensive.<<

Actually, none of these *adjectives* is considered appropriate under the ADA
(Americans with Disabilities Act), because they label the person. To be PC,
one should say "person with a disability" or "person with a handicap." And
yes, I've already seen the initialism PWD.

Personally, I just refer to myself as a gimp.

sue stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com