Re[2]: Formatting Question

Subject: Re[2]: Formatting Question
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:38:00 -0600

> > I don't know if you consider this the proper forum for this
> > type of question, but here goes:
>
> > In general, does a two column format save space? I prefer to use a
single
> > column but I am working with a large group on a proposal and do
> > not have the final say.

Actually, such a question is not only appropriate but, in the present
politically-charged climate on the list, is a refreshing change of pace.
:)

I agree, Steve. ;{>}

But it stops there, I'm afraid. I've found two-column text to be *easier* for me
to read, at normal sizes. I think it has something to do with the length of the
line. My eye can almost take in the entire column width in one glance, so my eye
moves in a straighter path down the page, rather than taking a zig-zag course
all over the page.

Now, there are modifiers to this. Newspaper-style columns, with the text square
with both edges of the column, can lead to unfortunate gaps of white space
between or inside words when produced with low-quality SW on low-res (say less
than 1000 dpi) printers. So unless you're using *real* DTP SW and imagesetter-
quality printers I wouldn't square the columns. And the larger the type, the
better it would be to go to single-column.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124