Unreproducible media

Subject: Unreproducible media
From: Daniel Strychalski <dski -at- CAMEONET -dot- CAMEO -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 00:09:50 +0800

Arthur Comings asked about "Requested item contained on unreproducible media."

I'm sure it is the requested item, not the medium (something like an RS-232C
connection, I suspect) that the unlucky operator wishes to reproduce. The
programmer seems to be trying to say, "Cannot copy from that source."

Here's one I've been itching to share with everyone (it's from the company that
did the most to spread "login" far and wide):

C>send "File is in F:\MAIL\JANE\FROMDAN" Jane
SEND-4.01-140: This utility cannot read object information for object JANE.

By the way, does anyone know how "object" came to denote a node in a hierar-
chical data structure? I've been wondering about that for the longest time.

_| _ | . Dan Strychalski C> = :-) : O Technical : O Dad O : Home-row
/ |(_ |/ | dski -at- cameonet -dot- cameo -dot- com -dot- tw : )|-_/ Writer, : /V\_o_/X\ : Ctrl Key
\_|__)|\ | in Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C. : ]~]\ Translator : / \ X |\ : Advocate