TW: Paperless Documentation

Subject: TW: Paperless Documentation
From: Scott McDaniel <mcdaniel -at- PIONEER -dot- USPTO -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 12:31:31 EDT

Hi all,

A person I'm working with is looking into supplying only on-line
documentation for his relatively simple software product. I've
seen comments on the list for a while now saying that customers
usually do want some form of a paper manual. This is the solution
that we're considering, and I thought I'd see if it evoked any
comments from people who may have tried it before:

I'm designing a hypertext document, based on modules. Each
module is one help screen, but they also have a specific order.
The customer can click on a button in one of the initial help
screens to print out a manual, built from the help screens.
This will lead to fairly heavy redundancy since each module must
stand alone in its context, but I don't view this as a bad
thing.

Has anyone tried an approach like this before? How did it work?
The programmer will be programming the help screens using .RTF
files that I help produce.

Scott McD.

--
Stand hard-disk lame hers up lie. | Scott McDaniel
| Garcia Consulting, Inc.
I'm a citizen of Legoland, | (703) 412-3662
Travelling incommunicado! - Fish | mcdaniel -at- pioneer -dot- uspto -dot- gov