Re: TW: Paperless Documentation

Subject: Re: TW: Paperless Documentation
From: Scott McDaniel <mcdaniel -at- PIONEER -dot- USPTO -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:50:52 EDT

Hi Rose,

> >I'm designing a hypertext document, based on modules.

> Modules? Application modules? How is the app organized? Are the modules
> task-oriented?

A module is no more than a screen and a half of text and
diagram. Some of the modules are task oriented, and some
are reference oriented. Each module contains certain
elements (title, summary, links, etc.).

BTW - The help screens pop up next to the user interface;
they do not cover it.

> >Each module is one help screen, but they also have a specific order.
> >The customer can click on a button in one of the initial help
> >screens to print out a manual, built from the help screens.

> Your developers is writing a .dll for this? Will this just print out the
> help screens in order or will it provide page numbers and TOC? If it is
> just printing out the help screens, it is *not* a manual!

It will not include page numbers, but the modules are
numbered by section (Section 2.1.4). This is what the
TOC includes.

> Are you allowing the user to browse through the sequence of modules within
> the help and read it like a book?

Yes.

> 2) Why do the modules have to stand alone? Can't you jump to "background
> info" modules from specific modules? That's what hypertext is for!

The short answer is yes, the user will be able to do this.
I view the hypertext as a means to navigate through the on-line
book. There are background modules, but that's not what will
pop up from an initial help call. Unless they are specifically
reading for background, I'd like there to be a single module
that answers their question, whether it be what a particular
button does or how a particular procedure works.

> 3) This redundancy alone is enough to make the "manual" printed from the
> help screens unusable, even if the potential lack of task-orientation
> doesn't...

Interesting. Edmond Weiss, in _How to Write Usable User
Documentation_, encourages redundancy, saying that the fewer
times a reader must switch between modules, the better. I
don't know many people who read a manual straight through,
so redundancy allows people to get their bearings without
having to read other modules. Does this make sense?

> In my experience, documentation organized around the program's organization
> is more of a reference than a training document. If you cannot upgrade the
> help system to include training or tutorial info, you should provide a small
> hardcopy "getting started" guide -- unless the developer is willing to go
> out and train users at each and every installation.

The organization is both task oriented and program oriented.
The user interface is a series of tabs, much like the "Options"
screen in MS-Word. When the user clicks on the "Help" button
on any tab, the user can get help on any button or feature.
Also on the help screen is a list of the procedures involving
the tab. If the user wants to know what a button does, they
click on that button and a description pops up, along with a
hypertext link to each procedure which uses the botton.

The other option we are including, which is not a part of the
on-line manual, is a tutorial which gets the program running.
(Typically, once running the user does not need to touch the
software.)

> Rose A. (the 'A' stands for authoring) Wilcox
> rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
> ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
> "The shorter and plainer the better."
> Beatrix Potter

Thanks for your answer. :)

Scott McD.

--
Stand hard-disk lame hers up lie. | Scott McDaniel
| Garcia Consulting, Inc.
I'm a citizen of Legoland, | (703) 412-3662
Travelling incommunicado! - Fish | mcdaniel -at- pioneer -dot- uspto -dot- gov