Dumb question about the digest topic list

Subject: Dumb question about the digest topic list
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:31:19 EDT

I subscribe to TECHWR-L in digest form so each day I get one big mail message
that begins with a topic listing that looks like this:

There are 50 messages totalling 2209 lines in this
issue.

Topics of the day:

1. Contract writing (3)
2. SGML and tech. writing courses
3. HTML Development Tools

Can anyone tell me what the numbers in parentheses mean? They are not a part of
the subject line itself.

Thanks,

/chet