Re: SGML and tech. writing courses

Subject: Re: SGML and tech. writing courses
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:40:09 EDT

David McMurrey asks:

>I'm thinking that students ought to have some experience with using an
>SGML editor, converting a document to SGML, doing a validation, and
>then debugging a document so that it will successfully get through
>that process.

>Do you think this is the right set of tasks students ought to have
>in order to get an introduction to SGML? Can you think of others?
>Are these unrealistic in terms of the training and software that are
>needed?

David,

Those are useful but if they are but if they are offered outside of an
introduction to SGML that stresses the differences between SGML and the word
processing/desktop publishing paradigm, then they may serve to confuse, rather
than educate, the students.

Also, as many companies still use formatting tools (word processors, desk top
publishers) instead of structuring tools (SGML editors) to generate technical
documentation, students may well be inclined to ask "What's the point of my
learning this?"

I'd like to encourage schools to focus on getting students excited about the
possibilities inherent in having control over the structure of text, instead of
just its appearance. Then, instead of asking their teachers "Why should I learn
this?" they might be more inclined to ask prospective employers "Why aren't you
using this?"

Best regards and encouraging thoughts,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Director of Electronic Documentation
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]