Re: help! online help tools for

Subject: Re: help! online help tools for
From: "Hiatt, Michel" <MHIATT -dot- INT-MAIL -at- SMTP -dot- INTECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:25:00 CDT

> Phil Block <pblock -at- EXECPC -dot- COM> wrote:

>My project involves creation of three paper manuals, but now the
>customer is asking about on-line help, too. I am familiar with
>standard Windows help tools like D2H, RoboHelp, ForeHelp, etc., but
>I'm a UNIX newbie. Do any tools exist to create help that can be
>grafted onto an existing UNIX application? What are my options?

>CD McLean replied (in part)

>I may have some leads regarding the unix platforming problem. We are
also
>creating online help that will platforms. At the STC conference the
only
>vendor I could find that had a product allowing you to take your
window's
>help files to unix was Hyperhelp from bristol technology inc.
>(203-438-6969). However, they are really pricey ($2500 for the
compiler,
>each viewer is an additional $2500). As our unix platform support
>activities won't take place until much later in the year, I haven't done
>much more research.

We have purchased the HyperHelp package from Bristol Technology and the
prices quotes are correct. However, there is one inaccuracy. You may
distribute the viewer to view the compiled help files free with your
application. The software license includes all the technical
restrictions, like not sending source code, but the viewer is basically a
free run-time license application, as I understand it.

Mike Hiatt, Senior Technical Writer
mhiatt -at- intecom -dot- com
"All opinions are those of the writer
and are not those of the management."

Doc wonk
Breault Research Organization
Breault -at- primenet -dot- com

All opinions are my own. No one else would want them. 8-)