Re: failed tech com thread

Subject: Re: failed tech com thread
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 00:50:17 -0400

One devastating effect of failed technical communications that comes to
mind is somewhat timely re the new movie "Apollo 13."
As I recall the post mortum after the flight, the accident was caused by
a valve that failed and led to the explosion. The valve failed because
the manufacturer built the valve to a critical specification with the
decimal point mislocated by one position to the left, i.e. the valve was
build to 10% of the intended rating.

On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Tammy Hale wrote:

> Dear Techwriters,

> Somebody on the list recently requested examples of the humorous or
> devastating effects of failed technical communication. I was wondering what
> kind of responses were received. I'm giving a seminar on technical writing
> to engineers and anecdotes like that would be helpful.

> In addition, if someone could resend me the recent posting about x number
> of babies will be given to the wrong parents and x number of prescriptions
> will be given etc., I'd appreciate it (it has disappeared from my saved
> mail file--I don't know how I did that).

> Thanks,

> Tammy
> tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851