Re: Why so mean?

Subject: Re: Why so mean?
From: Steve Arrants <stephena -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 15:29:55 -0700

'Margie Foster' writes:

> I think this list is becoming too mean-spirited and condescending to
> people who are either posting a message for the first time, or asking a
> question in good faith. The replies from the "regulars" of this list in the
> last couple of days have left me feeling very bad for the target of their
> replies, and ashamed that we all call ourselves "professionals."

It is never appropriate to be mean-spirited or condescending. The best
action is to "sit on your hands" and ignore it.

However, I can empathize with the so-called "regulars" on the list. There
have been may posts and requests in the past that just don't belong here.
They take up bandwidth, costs some of us money, and don't add anything to
the discussion. I'm not talking about a first-timer giving some
background and introducing himself. I'm not talking about someone asking
for opinions on Frame, or Word, or whatever (though it seems that someone
asks these questions once a month). I'm talking about the postings to the
list that should really be private email. Things like "I agree!" and the
like. What I really dislike seeing here are questions that don't seem
to belong here. Stuff like "I remember seeing an article on Frame in
PC WEEK and I forgot what issue but I know it was in May and can someone
track it down for me and send it to me?" C'mon-- we're technical
writers and communicators. We should know how to use a telephone, an online
database, or a Guide to Periodicals.

....climbing down from my perch....