Re: What to call us

Subject: Re: What to call us
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 08:41:26 -0700

We've had several discussions on job titles for technical communicators on
this list. Recently, I've noticed that several companies in my area have
changed the job titles of all the programmers/engineers to
"Member of Technical Staff".

Does anyone know the reason behind this? Is it a trend from some management
book I haven't read? Is it a "teaming" thing? (Have you been reading
the "Sally Forth" comic strip this week? ;-) ) Or, is it a communist plot?
Are technical communicators generally included in this job-title leveling?

Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (for now, at least)
SmartStar Corporation