Re: What to call us

Subject: Re: What to call us
From: PJ Rose <pjrose -at- AGATE -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 09:31:21 -0400

At the risk of being flamed, I think that it's about time that someone
pointed out that nearly every state in the U.S. requires that anyone
calling themselves an "engineer" must have attained a professional
engineering license. (I'm not sure whether this is the case overseas, but
if someone knows, I'd be interested in finding out.) The law *does* allow a
company to bestow the title of "engineer" on its employees -- provided that
there is a licensed professional engineer somewhere in the organization.

The typical requirements for achieving the status of licensed professional
engineer (here in the States, at least) involve the completion of a
four-year accredited engineering program, 4 to 5 years of applicable
experience, and 16 hours of in-depth testing. The reason for this is to
protect the public from those not competent to practice engineering.

Doctors and lawyers have similar (and even tougher) requirements, for the
same reason.

The point is that, whether you like it or not, the title "engineer" has a
legal significance that precludes its use by those that have not satisfied
the appropriate requirements. Although I am a degreed engineer with over 20
years of experience, I have yet to complete the final 8 hours of testing
(which I am scheduled to do this coming October).

I have been simulataneously been working as a technical writer for most of
those 20+ years, and I will choose to continue using that title even after
I pass the test and get a "P.E." after my name. I think that "technical
writer" best describes what I do, and that the added credential of being a
licensed professional engineer will just help my freelance tech writing
business.

Comments are welcome; flames will be ignored.

PJ

PJ Rose
Technical Writer
P.O. Box 681
Winterport, Maine 04496-0681
Tel/fax: (207)223-2238
CompuServe: 73511,2163
America OnLine: PJRose
Internet: pjrose -at- techwriter -dot- sdi -dot- agate -dot- net