Interleaf vs Frame

Subject: Interleaf vs Frame
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 09:53:46 PDT

Been there, done both.

One darn good thing Interleaf can do is easily
combine indeces from several documents into a
Master Index for the whole group of documents.

Frame has a hard time doing it; I was assured it
CAN be done, but have not seen it happen.

Another nice deal we liked about Interleaf is
the ability to set up a shared directory (called
a "cabinet") for passing docs among writers and
editors. It is dependent on platform and network,
and Frame can kinda do it too, but Ileaf was nicer.

We used Interleaf on Suns for several years, and
recently converted to Framemaker4 on Suns. The
driving reason for the change was to get into CD
ROM distribution, and Ileaf didn't have a good enough
SGML at the time.

In retrospect, I find that Interleaf is a far better
tool **FOR A TECH PUBS DEPARTMENT DOING LARGE DOCS**
than Frame4 is. Furthermore, I believe the learning
curve for Ileaf is shorter, especially when politics
decrees new formats, new "looks and feels" so often.

For straight book publishing, by an individual, I think
Frame4 is the better choice. Ileaf is more of a Department
tool.

Indexing one book is easier in Frame.

We are now going into Information Mapping on Frame. I think
the new templates would be equally challenging in the two
programs.

Interleaf continues to look good on resumes. Seeing Ileaf,
the employer knows you can handle **ANYTHING**.

Conversely, seeing Frame on the res, 90% of employers know
you can go right to work.

Put them BOTH on the res.

Just my $2,000,000 worth of opinion (estimated cost of
conversion, considering the retraining that still continues)

Remember? Word Star did the job.

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior Tech Writer
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA