Peer Reviews

Subject: Peer Reviews
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 15:00:12 PDT

TOPIC: QUALITY; HAVING ANOTHER WRITER REVIEW YOUR WORK

SITUATION:

Our Pubs department has no editor; writers are the sole
arbiters of the content and the sole hope for Quality.
Quality often suffers.

QUALITY FIX (Band-Aid (tm) ) :

We have been attempting to improve quality the cheap way:
having other writers review each other's manuals. So far,
not much has been accomplished.

DIFFICULTIES:

1) Time binds us all, and most writers share the same
deadlines.

2) The writer of the book usually knows the topic better
than the writer next door.

CALL FOR OPINIONS (damn sure this bunch will have opinions):

Have any of you experienced successful peer review
operations? Unsuccessful?

Are we hopelessly Out To Lunch on this approach?

Thanks in advance. (The glass is half full.)

Dick Dimock, Artfully Senior Tech Writer
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA Overlooking 330,000-Volt power lines below my
window. This email loaded with VLF radiation.