online diagnostics

Subject: online diagnostics
From: Richard Dimock <red -at- ELSEGUNDOCA -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:16:09 PDT

Joel Cambron asked:

> My TC group is trying to name the diagnostics (troubleshooting) program that
> resides on our chemistry instrument. We are thinking of calling it Online
> Diagnostics, but we are not sure 'online' is correct for our audience. Our
> general audience is medical technologists (US and ESL). Our fears about
using
> 'online':
>
> 1. it will mean nothing
> 2. some will think it is a direct line to technical service
>
> What do you think? Is 'online' too techie (jargon)? Is 'online' too general
of a
> term for a resident program?

"Online" is not exactly what you want, as you may suspect.

These are diagnostics runnable while the instrument is operating, I assume,
because that is one of the "online" connotations.

In place of "online" I suggest "In-Use" or "Operating" or "Active".

Use a title that does convey what these do. Meddies will understand
"diagnostics", but think about other words that describe the action/results:

Examples:

In-Use Self-Tests / -Checks, etc.

Instrument Check(s)
" Test(s)

Faults Check / Test

Self Diagnostic / Check / Test, etc.

Is calibration part of the test suite, or does it stand by itself?

Do you have a panel switch/indicator (hardware) that limits the number of
characters in this title? Or is it on screen, thus unlimited characters?

Good Luck!

Dick Dimock Senior Grizzled ol' Tech Writer (Sr. GOTW)
AT&T Global Information Solutions
El Segundo, CA Overlooking one Hughes Aircraft plant. The parking lot
seems to be filling up again, after long lean times. This is NOT
an insider stock tip!