Re: Portfolio contents

Subject: Re: Portfolio contents
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 09:05:03 -0700

Sue Ellen Adkins wrote:

>I'm working to put together my first portfolio. I think I need to
>include examples of various types of writing but do I need to include
>samples from various tools? Would it be advisable to do the same
>document in PageMaker, Quark, and FrameMaker?

(snip)

I recommend including examples of various types of writing, but
against doing the same document with a variety of tools. You should
leave the originals alone, pretty much as delivered to the original
client(s).

A skilled craftsperson knows the proper
tool to use to get the best results (assuming your portfolio items
show different aspects of your talent: user guide, reference card,
etc.) I always explain to potential clients some of the relevant
information about how I created a certain piece. I always stress
why I selected a particular tool (this long, complex document was
appropriate to FrameMaker; this short, artsy piece was just right
for PageMaker; these imbedded graphics were done whith CorelDraw).
This never fails to impress my clients that he or she is hiring a
professional who knows his stuff and will succeed on their project.

I unhesitatingly recommend this approach to all techwr-l readers
interested in freelancing or contracting. It would probably work
well in interviews for permanent positions, as well, but it would
beg the question, "If you have all of this talent, why aren't you
consulting?" (It also helps in this business to have a healthy

Regards and good luck with the portfolio.

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224