Re: if and when...

Subject: Re: if and when...
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 23:16:42 -0600

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Pat Madea wrote:

> The following sentences,

> "If a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."
> "When a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."

> convey different meanings. Or, do they?

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, "If" conveys a
slightly greater element of uncertainty than "When". When reading the
two sentences above, I would assume from the first that you might be
making a general statement of possibility, whereas, the second suggests a
more definite condition of probability.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu