Re: if and when...

Subject: Re: if and when...
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 07:00:00 -0600

I've checked the NYT MoS, the Chicago MoS, Webster's 10th Collegiate,
Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, the Oxford American Dictionary, and a
few "writing" books trying to find the easy-to-remember-and-follow
rule of when to use "if" and when to use "when" <if?/when?> I use a
conditional clause.

"If" implies an event may not ever happen. "When" implies the event is
inevitable. If it's possible that a truck may never be "ready", then "If" is the
right word. Otherwise use "When ...."

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data