Re: Sentence structure

Subject: Re: Sentence structure
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 15:14:00 EDT

If I understand them correctly, the milspecs used by the USAF (upon which
Canadian military pubs spec are based) require that if notes, cautions or
warnings are required in text, that these notes, cautions or warnings must
precede the text they refer to.
Other than that it makes sense to me too tell the readers what to look out
for before telling them what to do. It's already too late if the reader
carries out the instruction before reading the cautionary text.
Paul
paul -dot- cheverie -at- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Friday, June 30, 1995 9:53AM

At 10:31 AM 6/29/95, Nancy Hayes wrote:
>In article <199506261855 -dot- LAA00795 -at- mail -dot- direct -dot- ca>,
>Matt Ion <mion -at- direct -dot- ca> wrote:
>>On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 16:57:44 PDT you wrote:
>>
>>>Well, for one thing, the question has nothing to do with sentence>TO
EJECT
> FROM
>> THE AIRPLANE
>>>1. Pull the left-hand lever upward sharply. This will eject the
>>> canopy.
>>>2. Pull the right-hand lever upward sharply. This will eject you
>>> from the airplane.
>>3. DO NOT REVERSE THESE STEPS!!!

>What the heck. Here's how it's done according to our company guide (and,
>No, I don't agree w/ the guide's placement of the conditional; the only
>conditional steps allowed are those used with logic operators: IF, THEN,
>etc.).

> WARNING

> Reversing the following steps could kill
> you.

>1. Eject from the airplane by performing the following steps in the
> order given.

> 1.1 Pull the left-hand lever upward sharply to eject the canopy.

> 1.2 Pull the right-hand lever upward sharply to eject from the
airplane.

>Aren't style guides =fun=? *cheap shot*

>Nancy (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)
Is this anything like "Ready, Fire, Aim"?

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
(510) 645-3469 (W) (510) 944-9814 (H)
santa -at- tfs -dot- com (W) santacroce -at- aol -dot- com (H)
santa -at- ccnet -dot- com (H)

"An idiot with a computer is a better, faster idiot!"