Certification Discussion at Reg. 5 Conf.

Subject: Certification Discussion at Reg. 5 Conf.
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 20:27:05 -0500

Either Misti or Becca wrote in part:

>ARUGH!!! I'm unlikely to get to go to Seattle, and this is a hot topic for
>me: my employer is really pushing certification, but the only things he can
>think of as appropriate for writers is to become certified in the tools we
>use, like Word...

If certification of technical communicators is a hot topic where
you work, then perhaps you would be interested in attending the STC
Region 5 Conference coming up Sept 29 & 30 in Tulsa, OK. One of=20
the sessions will be a discussion led by Larry Kunz, STC's Assistant
to the President for Professional Development.

Here's Larry's summary:
STC and Certification: Issues, Answers, and Actions (discussion)

Should there be certification for technical communicators? If so,=20
what form should the certification program take, and who should=20
run it? STC is currently investigating these questions, and we=20
would like all interested members to take part in discussing the=20
pros and cons. The session will cover:

=B7 STC=92s investigations into certification in the past
=B7 Current issues in the profession
=B7 Pros and cons of certification
=B7 STC=92s current investigation
=B7 What we hope to accomplish

brochure (to be mailed at the end of July). Otherwise, if you are
interested in attending the conference and you want to be on the
mailing list, send a note to Suzanna Laurent and include your
postal address. Her e-mail address is=20
slaurent_at_AIGWHQ -at- mailhost -dot- aig -dot- com -dot-

If you have questions about the upcoming conference, you may
write to me. In general, I'll say that STC regional conferences
are a bargain!

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.=20
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs. =20
=20
My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.