Re: I need job search help

Subject: Re: I need job search help
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 16:23:39 -0400

James Mathewson wrote about how to account for 6 years "missing" from his
resume while he obtained another degree.

I stayed out of the work force for 6 years when my sons were born. When I
first went back into engineering, I struggled with that gap, too. I was
eventually hired in spite of it.

Now that I'm a freelance technical writer, I structure my resume
functionally rather than chronologically. I use a one-page resume with the
following categories:

Range of Services
Experience and Education
Awards and Achievements
Availability

If potential clients want more detail, I also have a three-page version
explaining the various projects I worked on and documents I wrote or helped
produce.

Using a functional rather than chronological structure focuses the client
(or employer) on what you have done and what you can do, rather on when you
did it.

If anyone is interested in seeing either version of my resume, I'd be glad
to send it privately.

Win
-------

Win Day