Re: OSF/Motif Style Guide

Subject: Re: OSF/Motif Style Guide
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 21:06:48 GMT

In article <9507160752 -dot- AA12924 -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il>, Mark Levinson <mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il> writes:
>Indeed, as Stuart Burnfield hints, 1.0 is not the latest revision
>of the OSF/Motif Style Guide. I have both 1.0 and 1.2. I sort of
>wish I'd never seen 1.2. Possibly for the benefit of programmers,
>it runs each of its multi-word terms together: SelectionBox,
>TearOffButton, PanedWindow, etc. I suppose you could use the
>same terms with spaces in the middle, but the book sure is
>irritating.

We had to deal with this on a recent project and decided that when we
were discussing the objects in user documentation as generic things on
the screen, we'd use lowercase and separated words but when we were
discussing coding or attributes of the objects for a developer
audience, we'd use the OSF/Motif terminology.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.

"Yachting is a sport for people who think golf is too culturally
diverse."
-- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_