Re: cliches

Subject: Re: cliches
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 16:30:40 GMT

In article <3ug2h9$5k6 -at- panix -dot- com>, Roy Jacobsen (Roy_Jacobsen -dot- GPS -at- gps -dot- com)
wrote:
> So, what do you say instead of "on the fly?" Maybe it's a cliche, but does it
> do it's job? Does the reader understand what you mean?

How about "as you're working"?

I've never bought the argument that one can use any kind of language
as long as the reader will understand what you mean. There are circumstances
in which casual language is appropriate and there are others in which
more formal language is appropriate.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.

"Yachting is a sport for people who think golf is too culturally
diverse."
-- Jim Mullen, _Entertainment Weekly_