replying to posts

Subject: replying to posts
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 16:23:01 LCL

Hello Marta,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von "Cepek, Marta" an All am 17.07.95

"M> Please stop quoting the entire message you're replying to.

...especially when you did nothing more than scroll them down to make room for
your own words. You might not have the tools I can use, which do the quoting
you see here by themselves. PLEASE use a style like this anyway.

"M> Delete as much of the original message as you can and only
"M> leave enough of
"M> the original message to provide a reference as to who/what you
"M> are replying to.

Through the Internet, this is even more of a problem than within my BBS: Here,
I can link reply chains. So please make every message self-understandable, but
no more.

"M> For those who must pay for their InterNet connection, there
"M> some people who
"M> spend as much as $2 a day (up to $50/month) just for the
"M> connect time to
"M> download this list.

Perhaps you can get a local FIDOnet sysop to gate TECHWR-L for you - many
can do this these days. For $50, many of these guys wil do LOTS for you. If
you need contact to local FIDOnet operators, send me PRIVATE e-mail with the
prefixes of your local calling area. There are some 40.000 FIDOnet sysops
worldwide!

"M> Another suggestion, in the case of a specific debate, might be
"M> to take the
"M> conversation off-line (private e-mail), and if anything of
"M> interest to the
"M> entire list comes of it, to post it to the list after the fact.

I would prefer if someone with a free Internet account could do it. But if you
want to create a small mailing list, I can host it. Through my BBS, it could
even be reached by people without Internet access.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander