Another reason for section numbers

Subject: Another reason for section numbers
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:12:57 IDT

Says Geoff Hart:

As you can see, I'm unconvinced, but some of these points are worthy
of more discussion. I _can_ be persuaded. Any more comments, details,
rebuttals, clarifications, etc.?

Says I:

Section numbers tend to be both stabler and more specific than
page numbers. Sometimes it doesn't matter, sometimes it does.

If people want to refer to the document for legal purposes, it's
a lot easier to talk about the flange described in paragraph 1.5.3.8
than to talk about the flange described on page 83 of Edition 6B,
dating from page 75 of Edition 4A, sort of halfway between the
big illustration and the bottom of the page.

Mark L. Levinson
mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il