Modems for Technical Communicators

Subject: Modems for Technical Communicators
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 16:06:53 -0400

If you plan to view Web pages from home, I would recommend that you
break open the piggy bank and go for a 28,8 modem and make sure it
has a good data flow controller. I bought a Hayes High-Speed Serial
Port for my PC and the data receive/transmit is so much smoother.

If you settle for a 14,4 modem, you save money, but may end feeling
left behind or screaming over the long delays in graphics access.

I'm sure my TECHWR-L colleagues have opinions about this modem subject...
we talked about it within the last year...some folks were defending their
2400 baud dinosaurs as being just fine...

And, BTW, it pays to spend a little extra and buy a name-brand modem, such
as U.S. Robotics or Hayes. Buy a copy of _Computer Shopper_ and look at
the reviews. My brother-in-law told me that _Computer Shopper_ recently
reviewed 28,8 modems.

Also, if you plan to do a lot of online work/play, I suggest an external
modem. You can troubleshoot problems much more easily and reset it if
you get into trouble.

-Mike, whose heart is filled with techno-lust

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
Scientific Visualization Center (SVC) & Phone: (919) 541-4283 [W]
National Environmental Fax: (919) 361-9464 [H]
Supercomputing Center (NESC) ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
EPA/Martin Marietta Technical Services Inc.
79 Alexander Drive MD 24/4201-2
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709