Cliches: How about "...in real time"?

Subject: Cliches: How about "...in real time"?
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 11:03:26 -0400

My favorite computer/high-tech cliche is "in real time." I know what
it means, and God help me, I've used it more times than I care to
admit, but it's a strange phrase. It sometimes leaves me asking, "as
opposed to what other kind of time?"

-Mike

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer Compuserve: 72624,2155
SVC/NESC Phone: (919) 541-4283
Martin Marietta Technical Services, Inc. ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
Primary Support Contractor for the EPA
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Scientific Visualization Center (SVC),
National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)