Re[2]: PC Purchase: Recommendations?

Subject: Re[2]: PC Purchase: Recommendations?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 07:14:00 -0600

SCSI may be the way to go--that's what I have in fact--but you will also
find that compatible upgrades in hardware (hard drives, etc.) are also
more expensive so do plan for it if you go that way.

You'll find that SCSI drives aren't that much more expensive than their IDE
counterparts (10% or less, usually). It's the adaptor card that will cost you a
significant chunk of change. Get one that will support Fast SCSI throughput
speeds on your machine. Anything less and you'll just have to upgrade it later,
anyway.

But if you go SCSI, pick your vendor carefully. There are a lot of vendors whose
bread & butter is IDE. They'll give you bad advice on SCSI, and overcharge you
as well. (I saw one vendor who charged almost twice as much for a SCSI drive as
an IDE!) Luckily, you can spot these vendors by the price tag they hang on the
SCSI drives. I can recommend APS Technologies for SCSI equipment. They've been
in the SCSI business for a long time. I can't offer higher praise than to say
I've spent my own money on their drives (three times) without any complaints.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data