Re[2]: URL

Subject: Re[2]: URL
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 06:50:00 -0600

If I'm not mistaken, there are two interpretations: "Universal
Resource Locator" and "Uniform Resource Locator". I don't think there
is really any difference; they both refer to World Wide Web
addresses. For example,
http://www.apple.com is the URL for Apple Computer's WWW page.

Does anyone know if there is a "correct" interpretation?

It's not limited to Web address. ftp://support.apple.com is an ftp address, for
example. Other protocols which can be named are gopher, news, finger, and
telnet. I think there are others as well, but those are the only ones I
remember.

There is also syntax for a port number, when the connection requires a specific
port: http://www.apple.com:80 will (since 80 is the default port for http) reach
the same page as the above example.

And, since I seem to be the only one who remembers it as "Universal," I feel
compelled to point out that my memory could be failing me on this. The tide is
strong enough in favor of Uniform to suppport its usage.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data