Re: Fall or fall??

Subject: Re: Fall or fall??
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:13:43 MST

> Bev wrote :
>>The New York Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and Usage,
>>page 231, says

>>"Names of seasons--spring, summer, winter, autumn (or fall)--are
>>not capitalized unless used as a personification. The scientific
>>terms denoting times of the year, such as winter solstice and
>>vernal equinox, also are not capitalized."

Rosie responded:
> However, I think the original post mentioned something about "fall being our
> busiest season," and I thought, not consulting a source, that such a season
> *may* in some fields, be considered an event, such as in the rule,
> "Capitalize words that designate specific periods of time."
> Thus: In the word of fashion, the Fall Season ushers in clothes reflecting
> the colors of autumn."

(Welcome back, Rosie!)
Maybe so, when used as "the Fall Season," but I don't see "fall
being our busiest season" as equivalent. In fact, I would
question the validity of capitalizing "the Fall Season," even in
the fashion industry.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=