Re: gender bias in language

Subject: Re: gender bias in language
From: Gene Ledbetter <gledbet -at- HEARTLAND -dot- BRADLEY -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 16:55:52 CDT

James Perkins mentioned the idiosyncratic convention of
using the pronoun "she," rather than the traditional "he,"
when referring to an anonymous individual. I once owned an
entire book that followed this unconvention. The practice
was distracting and irritating, and it detracted from an
otherwise interesting book on how to get published. I have
also read material in which the author alternated between
"he" and "she." This practice was extremely irritating, and
I tossed the fool thing aside unread.

The last thing technical writers should do is subject their
readers [writers/their] to unnecessary confusion or
complexity. If we must have a fetish, let it be precision,
e.g., "the hermaphroditic patient should visit his and her
physician regularly."

Gene Ledbetter