(Fwd) RE: DEC's VT100 terminal

Subject: (Fwd) RE: DEC's VT100 terminal
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 08:29:31 PST

For whomever was looking for the VT100 description, I asked a friend
and Digital (and he supplied lots more info). Following is his
message, in case the "what does it mean" question comes up again:
...sue
-------------------------
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

From: Scot Bishop-Walker <scot -at- vmpyr -dot- wro -dot- dec -dot- com>
To: "'sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com'" <sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com>
Subject: RE: DEC's VT100 terminal
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 03:44:45 -0700

VT = Video Terminal. A device sitting on your desk is not "virtual". A Virtual
Terminal would be a second window on your monitor.

In reality, there are 3 types of terminals (at the "system" level):

1. A Video (or Dumb) Terminal (you're familiar with them)
2. A Logical Terminal (referred to on the VAX or UNIX box by
a device name (VMS refers to them as RTA devices,
i.e. RTA1: is the first, RTA2: is the second, and so on)
3. A Virtual Terminal, which is a terminal window on my screen,
when I'm sitting at my workstation.

Make sense?

I know, I know...more than you EVER wanted to know...but you asked! <snicker!>

- S