Ragged Right or Full-Justified?

Subject: Ragged Right or Full-Justified?
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 17:42:42 EST

Text item: Text_1

Hello!

My department is in the process of redefining our format. We use 8.5 x
11 pages with a 2" left margin. Someone is suggesting that we
full-justify the text. I'm sure I've read that this impairs
readability. I looked it up and here's what I found:

_The Chicago Manual of Style_ (14th ed. page 57): ....the text in
computer printouts should not be justified (aligned right margins
with, consequently, irregular word spacing), but should be printed
with ragged-right margins. .....

_The New York Public Library's Writers Guide to Style and Usage_ (page
734) seems to say something else: (ragged right margins) are commonly
used in brochures, children's books, and informal pieces.....

Does anyone have any hard evidence that ragged right margins (or fully
justified text) improve readability. The meeting is tomorrow and I
have a feeling it will become a real issue!

Please respond directly to me, as I get the digest version. I will
gladly summarize for the list.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com