Re: Generic "he" summary

Subject: Re: Generic "he" summary
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 13:33:39 MST

Jean D. Ichbiah <ichbiah -at- JDI -dot- TIAC -dot- NET> wrote:

> Really? You do not see the difference? Literally, the second is collective
> and applies to several doctors receiving several pleas - not to one doctor
> receiving one plea.

============
Jean,

I think what Richard posted is out of context. I recognize the
doctor/patient examples from a similar thread several months
ago--possibly even on a different list. In context, the examples
were referring to *any* doctor in general; so, it would be up to
the author whether to use the singular example or the plural
example. So either one would work.

Seeing them as you are, for the first time and out of context,
they do indeed convey something different!

Bev
=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=