Re: Value of Writing Degree

Subject: Re: Value of Writing Degree
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 16:52:06 GMT

>I was recently going to school, pursuing a professional writing degree,
>until I decided to take a full time job doing software documentation. I
>have a chemical engineering degree and three years work experience in
>that field. My question is: Would it be of any value to me to get my
>degree in professional writing at night (I have 8 classes left) or is
>work experience and a portfolio more important. Thanks for any input
>you can give me.

Finish the degree. Eight classes isn't even three full classes. And it
has the same value as any other degree, your chem engineering one
included: it's "proof" to some uptight, degree-snobbish, manager that
you had the guts to finish something difficult. Both degrees, combined
with your experience in software, will be invaluable.

Nancy Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov)