Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm ?

Subject: Re: 50-ohm or 50 ohm ?
From: Ken Gross <candk -at- HOOKED -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 23:04:57 -0700

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995 tmweditr -at- world -dot- std -dot- com wrote:

> The copy editors always add a hyphen in a place that we, the
> technical editors, question. Here's the situation.

> [X] Install a 50-[uom] resistor

> or

> [ ] Install a 50 [uom] resistor.

I have to agree with your editors. Think of it this way: 3-ply tire
or 6-way multiplexor, and stuff like that. It's not like you have a
string of adjectives preceding the noun like: It was a dark, foreboding,
wintery day... Each of these adjectives by themselves can modify day,
but 50 and ohm have to stay together so you have to hyphenate the sucker.

Hope this helps!

Ken Gross
Free-lance Technical Writer

"Quality is free." Philip B. Crosby