Re: # sign

Subject: Re: # sign
From: Heilan Yvette Grimes <HEP2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 10:06:24 -0400

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Leslie Gasser EXP 8/26/95 wrote:
>> Could any of you tell me what the actual name of the
>> pound sign (#) is? I thought it was octothorp (sp?),
>> but I haven't been able to find it in the dictionary
>> or in any of my reference books.

>The sign you have typed there is not a pound sign. The pound sign looks
>like a fancy handwritten capital "L", and is used as the symbol for British
>currency, and Australian currency before 1966 (sorry it doesn't work
>on my keyboard).

>I know "#" as the "hash" sign.

>James Perkins

The # is also known as the pound sign. The British Sterling Pound sign is the
sign you are describing. But the # is also accurately described as such,
though not to be used to denote British currency.

The octothorp is a name invented by AT&T to describe the # sign on the
telephone keypad. It is starting to catch on, but has not yet made it into
dictionaries.