Philip Crosby and "Quality is Free"

Subject: Philip Crosby and "Quality is Free"
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 13:03:00 PDT

Someone signed off with

>"Quality is free." Philip B. Crosby

My instant reaction was to say think about all the companies that seem to
subscribe to this idea. At most of them, I find that quality really *is*
free ... as in, it's out there somewhere, roaming free, *not captured*.

I much prefer consulting with people who understand that quality does cost
but pays even more. As technical communicators we are poorly served by the
idea that quality (or value of any sort) is free.

My $.02 in the kitty.
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.