Re: Slaton

Subject: Re: Slaton
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 13:52:00 -0600

He says he's not in it for the money? So he's a liar as well as a spammer, eh?

He sent out a "Free Internet Spamming Guide" which told what his strategy was
and how he could use it to make money. Someone (I forget if it was on this list
or another) pointed out those blueprints are available from the government
printing office for considerably less than his price.

I've thought of several ways to stop him, so far. Unfortunately, we the list
members cannot do any of them. Three are within Eric's authority (I'm sure
they've already occurred to him) but probably only one is practical; I can't say
if that one is desirable. The rest are possible only from the ISP end of the
situation. If Slaton follows his previously published strategy, then the only
currently possible remedy will come when he has run out of ISP's that will
accept him. Not a likely eventuality.

But his behavior, if not remedied, does make a good argument for the end of
email-based discussion groups.

Anyway, this is far off-topic, so I shan't waste any more bandwidth upon it. I
apologize for what I wasted with this.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124