off topic posts

Subject: off topic posts
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 14:29:53 -0400

Techwhrilers:
The problem, as I see it, with telling writers to keep on topic is that
they are writers. I became a writer not to write to make a living, but
because I live to write. Because I have a mind that is only happy when I
delve into the obscure and technical, I chose technical writing as my medium
of expression. I suspect this is true of the technical writing community
at-large.
We are all very comfortable with communicating our thoughts through the
written word, but sometimes this comfort level leads to an excess of off
topic posts. The solution? Save these thoughts for Sunday communications.
The list has a very low level of posts on Sundays, and anyone who does not
want to be bothered with off-topic postings can simply delete everything that
appears with a Sunday date. In effect, we would be creating a "get it off
your chest day" for our virtual community. If you think this is a good idea,
or if you think I am completely nuts, please respond to me personally at:
Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- com, and I will tabulate the results and post to the list.
Good luck,
J.P.