Re: Contract Fees

Subject: Re: Contract Fees
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 06:18:09 UNDEFINED

>I have been approached to write and format some promotional materials on a
>contract basis. I'm very familiar with this particular type of work, but
>have never provided this service on a contract basis before. I will have to
>spend some time in meetings with the client, clarifying his needs, sales
>pitch, etc. Can anyone tell me whether it is appropriate to apply my
>hourly fee to the time spent in meetings with the client? Thanks!

Yes, indeed, it is appropriate to charge for all your time except, possibly,
the initial meeting, which is often a marketing investment in winning the
contract. (Even then, when I have had to travel and devote a full day to it,
the client paid for my time.)

You are spending tiem researching the need and the background, and that is
part of the job you have contracted for.
***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com], marketing consultant & freelance writer.
Author best-selling How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant (Wiley),
60+ other books on consulting, other business subjects. General writing,
copywriting, ghost writing services. PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915.